South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
Simulation training is being increasingly used as a method for the delivery of high
quality, immersive, experiential training. Maudsley Simulation has been at the
forefront of the use of simulation training in mental health settings both in the UK and
internationally and we are now part of simulation networks in south London and
mental health simulation globally.
In the last four years we have designed, developed and delivered over 50 new day-
long courses covering a wide range of topics including but not limited to general
adult, psychiatric emergencies, child and adolescent mental health, perinatal mental
health and learning disabilities. Although we run some uni-professional days, the
vast majority of our courses are for the inter-professional and multi-disciplinary
teams which make up our clinical services.
We are an enthusiastic team who work together to deliver our courses both at our
Lambeth Hospital site and also around the UK in collaboration with other NHS trusts.
We have also partnered with non-health agencies to develop courses including the
Metropolitan Police and Ambulance services.
Take a look at our website for more information.
Landor Road, London SW9 9NU
There are several options for visiting trainees depending on their area of interest,
prior experience and the length of the placement. The team will advise on what is
available during the planning stage with the trainee.
- Visiting trainees will have opportunities to learn about all aspects of
developing and delivering mental health simulation training by spending time
with members of our multidisciplinary team. This includes educational faculty,
simulation technicians, research lead, marketing, sales and management.
- Trainees will be able to observe and potentially assist with delivery of simulation training courses.
- Trainees will be able to learn more about simulation debrief techniques, depending on dates there may be additional specific training that can be arranged to support this.
- Trainees will be able to learn more about the evaluation process that we use for our course and explore ongoing research into the topic of the use of simulation training in mental health.
Please note that this placement does not include patient contact.
February-July and October-December
Visiting trainees need to have fluent English language skills
- Visas: please check with the embassy
- Travel and health insurance needed: yes
With host: No.
Hospital residencies available: Depends on Availability. Application needs
to be done well in advance.
Other info: Youth hostels and Affordable hotels:
www.gumtree.co.uk – to find rooms or a flat to rent in London
Local exchange coordinator: Dr Camilla Tooley, contactable via:
Apply via EFPT process, then we can arrange a phone/skype call to discuss
the details of the placement.