Maudsley Learning Programme
Maudsley Learning’s mission is to enhance the mental health and wellbeing of all through education and training.
Maudsley Learning is partnered with Maudsley Training Programme for psychiatry trainees. It designs and delivers courses to meet the continuing professional development needs of individual professionals in the healthcare workforce, but also to many others including colleagues in social services, policing, schools and in the private sector. The courses have run nationally and internationally.
It delivers education in a variety of formats including online learning, mental health simulation (face to face and digital), masterclasses and webinars. These are often interprofessional and interdisciplinary in nature.
Your placement would allow you to gain experience of these unique, new, and exciting forms of teaching within mental health. You will have an opportunity to attend and observe different courses Maudsley learning run and if appropriate you can co-facilitate on mental health simulation courses. This will allow you to gain an understanding of the working of the NHS (both within the mental health and physical health trusts), the importance of reflection and human factors within clinical work and gain confidence and knowledge in interprofessional and interdisciplinary teaching.
You will also have an opportunity to work within different sectors of Maudsley learning including marketing, business, research and development. Thus, allowing a greater breadth of knowledge and opportunities for involvement in research projects.
UNIT / HOSPITAL
Your role will include partly working from home and part face-to-face in Lambeth hospital or ORTUS conferencing and Events Venue. The amount of face-to-face work will depend on level of covid- 19 risk at the time of placement and South London and Maudsley’s regulations and recommendations.
(Any unit, subject to prior approval)
108 Landor Rd,
ORTUS Conferencing and Events Venue
82-96 Grove Lane
The highlights of this placement are:
- High quality experience in a wide range of clinical education and training courses, which are often focused at the mental-physical interface.
- Extensive opportunities to develop clinical education skills in a variety of formats including simulation, debrief, masterclasses and webinars.
- Access and opportunities to be involved with research within Maudsley Learning.
February-July and October-December
Language: fluent English
- VISA: check with the embassy
- Travel and health insurance needed: yes
DEAR APPLICANT, BEFORE APPLYING, PLEASE READ THIS USEFUL INFORMATION FROM AN EXCHANGE TO THE MAUDSLEY Learning PROGRAMME IN THE UK
- The responsibility for organising accommodation, transport and visa, rests with the visiting trainee, although the local coordinators should be able to offer guidance with these issues. It is recommended to plan well in advance before coming to the UK. As well as investigating these topics, it is also highly desirable to acquire a basic understanding of the UK healthcare system to get the most out of your placement.
- As much of the work will still be from home and online, access to WIFI and a computer or laptop will be necessary.
- Whilst observing it will be important that people on the courses are aware and they may on occasions object to an observer being present.
- The placement will continue to be affected by rules and regulations from South London and Maudsley, Maudsley learning and the government secondary to Covid-19 and therefore potentially this placement may be cancelled or rearranged closer to the time.
www.tfl.gov.uk – to find your way around the city
http://www.timeout.com/london/ – a guide to arts, culture, and going out in the capital
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/ – about the weather.
LOCAL EXCHANGE COORDINATOR