Psychiatric care in The Netherlands is mostly provided by university hospitals and other (community) centres. It has a high level of organisation and follows the professional guidelines on mental health. The psychiatry training shows some variation between the different centres but always complies with the national plan for psychiatry training that includes courses and practice in psychopathology, psychotherapy, pharmacotherapy, etc. After a common trunk in general psychiatry during 2,5 years, the following 2 years of the training has to be chosen from the three subspecialties Child and Adolescent, Adult or Old Age Psychiatry.
Available programme for EFPT Exchanges:
General Information The Netherlands
February – July 2019
The duration of the clinical placement:
- Groningen: 2 weeks
You should be a resident in psychiatry training and preferably have experience or a strong interest in Old Age Psychiatry.
Dutch is the working language with patients, but English is widely spoken by staff.
Basic understanding of Dutch is highly preferable. Fluent English is required.
- VISA needed: check with your embassy
- Travel and health insurance: highly recommended.
You can reach Groningen from the Amsterdam airport Schiphol by NS train, from the airport of Eindhoven by a bus + train connection (it works fine, but if you arrive at night you will need to wait until early morning) or from the German airport of Bremen by the frequent and comfortable Public Express bus.
Within the city people usually move around by bicycle (maybe you can borrow one from the place you stay). The bus services are good too.
Groningen: For a short duration there might be a possibility to stay with a host. Other possibilities you may consider are the Simplon hostel, Stee in stad, AirBnB or CouchSurfing and see the Groningen websites below.
- Groningen: Tourism website, Lonely Planet and Rough Guides.
- About the Netherlands: Wikipedia.
- Information about De Bascule Hospital: www.debascule.com (only in dutch).
- University Medical Center Groningen and information about Healthy Ageing
- The psychiatry department of the UMCG (only in dutch).
- Plan your travel by public transport with 9292.nl.
- Plan your travel with the main Dutch railway (train) company NS: www.ns.nl.
National coordinator: Charlotte Blok