Chair of the Working Group:
Contact for this Working Group:
Aims of the Working Group:
Psychoactive substance use disorders (PSUD) pose a great challenge to the European health care, as for the use of licit and illicit substances. While trainees are classically trained in the recognition and treatment of major psychopathologies as depression and schizophrenia (among the others), relatively small effort has been dedicated to the implementation of the training in substance use disorders across Europe, both for GAPs and CAPs. The aim of this group is to understand European trainees’ levels of knowledge in PSUD psychopharmacology treatments and psychotherapies, and to investigate trainees’ attitudes/opinions towards substance misuse/addiction psychiatry.
Description of the functioning of the group
- The group decided to carry out a survey (PSUD-EFPT Study) about the evaluation of trainees’ skills, attitudes, knowledge in PSUD across Europe .
- A protocol for a survey was drafted .
- The group developed a 70-items questionnaire to be disseminated in 20 European Countries having a GAPs and CAPs monospecialty training, to a number of 40 trainees per country. A national coordinator per country will get involved.
- 10 country coordinators so far have been identified, other 10 are needed. The dissemination (both hand and online via Survey-Monkey) is ready to go for the first 10 countries.
The group has 6 skype meeting a year.
- “NPS (Novel Psychoactive Substances) of Interest for Psychiatry “ , by Dr Laura Orsolini, Dr Duccio Papanti , Dr Diego Quattrone, Dr Thanos Kanellopoulos *
- “Trainees’ Attitude, Knowledge and State of Art in the Addiction Psychiatry Training: Preliminary Data from a Trainee-led European Independent Research”, by Dr.Duccio Papanti, Dr Duego Quattrone, Dr Laura Orsolini, Dr Irena Rojnic Palavra, Dr. Mariana Pinto da Costa, Dr. Thanos Kanellopoulos * .
- Young Researcher Symposium on Addictive Behaviors Dr Duccio Papanti, Dr Laura Orsolini, Professor Lieve de Backer **.
- ”Identity or Competency : how to train the modern day psychiatrist” Dr Andrew Brittlebank, Dr. Geert Dom, Dr Livia de Picker, Dr Laura Orsolini, Dr Thanos Kanellopoulos, Dr Thomas Gargot *** .
* Symposium proposals for the 5th YPN- Porto Heli, Greece, September 2015- Meeting submitted
** Symposium proposals for the EPA 2016 Conference- submitted
*** Workshop proposal for the EPA 2016 Conference- submitted
- Oral Presentation about the PSUD-WG to the 3rd Italian Conference of Young Psychiatrists, held at Bari, Italy, October 2014. Dr Duccio Papanti .
- Oral Presentation about Substance Use disorders, delivered via Skype to the IFMSA meeting in Aarhus, Denmark, 26 april 2015. Dr Duccio Papanti, Dr. Mariana Pinto da Costa.
- Poster Presentation “Substances Use Disorders (PSUD) Study – together we can make a difference” presented to the EFPT Forum, June 2016, Porto, Portugal. Dr Duccio Papanti, Dr Matis Martens, Dr Andrew Putksys, Dr Diego Quattrone , Dr Irena Rojnic Palavra, Dr Franziska Baessler, Dr Tomasz Gondek, Kanellopoulos , Casanova Dias M,Pinto da Costa M,Orsolini L
- Abstract – Project: “Better training – Better mental healthcare”, Supplement on the 3rd National Congress of Young Psychiatrists, Research and Advances in Psychiatry Journal Vol. 2 (No. 1Suppl.) Dr Duccio Papanti.
- Report from the PSUD-Working group for the Summer EFPT Newsletter, Dr Duccio Papanti.
With the EFPT Board, the YPN network, IFMSA (one presentation), the EPA Addictive Behaviors (one presentation proposal)
A number of Coordinators will get involved for the PSUD Study.
So far, other EFPT delegate/observers have been enrolled as coordinators:
Dr Mariana Pinto da Costa, Portugal
Dr Marisa Diaz, UK
Dr Thanos Kanellopoulos, Greece
Dr Leslie Grichy, France
Dr Tomasz Gondek, Poland
Dr Franziska Baessler, Germany
Dr Andrew Puktsys, Lithuania
Dr Matis Martens, Estonia
Dr Irena Rojnic Palavra, Croatia
Dr Duccio Papanti, Dr Laura Orsolini, Dr Diego Quattrone ,Italy
Plan for the current year
- Physical meeting.